Friday, March 11, 2016

Isaiah John


Today, my oldest turns six. A great time for me to reflect on life as a husband, father, and missionary. Just 5 days after he was born, we rushed Isaiah to the emergency room with severe vomiting. After an episode of severe respiratory distress and a night in the ICU, we found out Isaiah had Hirschsprung’s disease. There were no nerves that grew into the end of his intestine, not allowing him to pass any stool. This of course, was quite a shock to two new parents, but this is where the story takes an interesting turn.

God spared his life, and he didn’t stop there. God provided a highly specialized surgeon to perform a surgery to remove the intestines that had no nerves connected to them. So I thought, “God, you made me a surgeon, and you sent me a surgeon when I really needed one. Maybe you could use me like that, too? Maybe you could send me?”

And he did. He sent us to Cameroon. And I tell people Isaiah’s story. I tell them how God provided me a surgeon in a dark hour, and I want to be their surgeon now because God loves them too, just like He loves me.

Kelly and I are so thankful not only for our 11 years of marriage, but the amazing 6 years we’ve had as parents. Isaiah has blessed us in so many ways, and his story is one that so beautifully illustrates the Golden Rule. We are here because we want to treat others the way we would like to be treated. God sent us a surgeon, so we are to be sent to others.

Another exciting twist in Isaiah’s story: his surgeon, Dr Streck, came to Mbingo to perform surgeries on children here. He even did some of the same procedures as Isaiah had. We thank Dr Streck for his willingness to be also sent by God.

Happy Birthday, Isaiah! Thanks for your gentleness, kindness, and tender heart. Thank you for helping us to practically live out the Golden Rule.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday Isaiah - from Addy, Bella and Cora!!!

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday Isaiah. Really insightful reflections Gregg!

    Milton an Beth

    ReplyDelete